I love reviewing children's books. Having read several Nutcracker books and having attended the ballet a couple of times, I was interested to see how this book would be different. It didn't disappoint in that respect. There were several features that made The Nutcracker stand out.
The Book: This hardcover book comes with a nicely illustrated dust jacket (which I promptly removed because I dislike dust jackets). The book itself feels like quality. The book is navy blue with a silver embossed title on the front cover that is surrounded by a scrolled border. The binding is sewn, not glued. This is important because a well used children's book with a glued binding will eventually fall apart. The pages are thick with a matte, not glossy finish. The book is over 100 pages and separated into fourteen chapters.
The Story: This book contains the usual Nutcracker story. However, in the middle of the book is a tale within a tale that you've probably not heard before - The Story of the Hard Nut. Apparently, in simplifying the story to create a ballet, this tale had long ago been eliminated and in the author's research has been unearthed. (The full story is in the Introduction.)
This is a nice book. It retails at $24.99 which is a little pricey, I think, if you were to pay full price. (Does anyone do that anymore?) Keep this book in mind as you start your Christmas shopping!
I received this book free from WaterBrook Multnomah in exchange for an honest review.
No comments:
Post a Comment