I haven't been ordering many review books lately. While I love to read it takes time that I need to devote to homeschooling and being a wife and mom. Oh yeah, and cooking and cleaning. However, when I saw Behind the Veils of Yemen come through my email I knew I really wanted to read it. So I ordered it. And in God's perfect timing, the book arrived the day before we left on vacation. The perfect chance to read a good book!
Sometimes when I read a missionary book, I think, "I could never do that because (insert any reason: I have young children, the heat would be more than I can bear, I don't like spicy food, etc.)." But there is a transparency in Audra's writing that made me think, "Yes, that would be difficult. She's showing that! But with God's grace I could accomplish the task task for which he has called me." She was honest with her struggles and her wrestlings with God.
Here are a sampling of her wrestlings (which my spell check says is not a word, but I rather like it)...
regarding her children...
"I had refused to accept that not only did God love my children more than I did, He also created them for His purposes, not for mine. I had wrestled until I could make no other choice but to obey or disobey God's call to Yemen. And then I submitted, reluctantly."
regarding a time when her husband was in the hospital with an very serious undiagnosed illness...
"I gritted my teeth and whispered that Kevin would get better if I believed hard enough. So I willed him to heal, not recognizing whose will my faith was pursuing."
regarding doubts...
"Lord, if I had been raised to believe Islam, would I believe Mohammed to be God's messenger as strongly as I believe Jesus is the Messiah? The question was like a worm eating at my faith."
This book was an encouragement to me. It made the lives and struggles of missionaries more tangible to me. And, in that way, I feel better equipped to pray for them. In addition, I have a greater understanding of the Islamic culture and beliefs and how to pray for them. What greater result can a book have than to drive us to our knees in prayer!
I received this book free from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for an honest review.
No comments:
Post a Comment