My main interest in reviewing this book was to gain a better understanding of what the Amish believe theologically. Reading their prayers, I was able to understand a little of what they believe. The prayers are reveal and deep yearning to follow the Lord in all ways. Here is a sample prayer from the chapter titled "Prayers of Repentance."
Lord, I have been disobedient. I confess this with a humble heart and come to you like a child to his father and say: I am heartily afraid because of my great sin. I have sinned, O Father, and done evil before you. Oh, have mercy on me, I beg you from the bottom of my heart, and save me from my temptation. O Father, comfort me again with your fatherly aid. I call on you from my heart like David, dear God and Father! Create in me a clean heart like David, dear God and Father! Create in me a clean heart, O God, and give me a right spirit, that I may from this day forward serve you humbly and wholeheartedly in love and trust, in safety, and with childlike hope. Amen.Amish Prayers contains beautiful illustrations. However, for a prayer book I found them distracting. The illustrations are focused on the Amish and the prayers are focused on the Lord. They seem to be competing with one another.
I received this book free in exchange for an honest review.
No comments:
Post a Comment