Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Discipleship Resources for Daughters

Recently, a friend asked me for book recommendations for her daughter. Of course, at the moment, I could only remember a couple. But afterward, more ideas came! So I thought it would benefit me create a blog post to save my ideas.

I have three girls and they are all different. I won't use all of these resources for all of them. So in that sense, this is not a one-size-fits-all list. Every girl is different in temperament, personality, learning style, and what they need. I do have favorites, though, and will attempt to use them with each girl. I've marked them with an asterisk.

Available free online

*Martha Peace audio teaching on hurt feelings. Okay, we all need this one ladies. Highly recommended!

*Living by the Book by Howard Hendricks video series (or the book listed below depending on how they learn best)

*Gospel in Context by Stuart Scott pdf- I worked through this document with all three girls over the course of several weeks. We looked up verses (not all, but most) and discussed.

*Biblical-Decision Making by Stuart Scott, handout with audio or video


Books
Generally, I would have my daughter read the book and then we would informally discuss it. I'm not a fan of discussion questions although they can be a helpful launching pad.

A Faith to Grow On - John MacArthur

Before You Meet Prince Charming by Sarah Mally

A Young Woman After God's Own Heart by Elisabeth George

*Living by the Book by Howard Hendricks (or the video series listed above depending on how they learn best)

*Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God's Will by Kevin DeYoung

His Word in My Heart by Janet Pope

True Beauty by Carolyn Mahaney and Nicole Whitacre

Girl Talk by Carolyn Mahaney and Nicole Whitacre

Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss

*Do Hard Things by Alex Harris and Brett Harris

Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney

*Growing Up Christian by Karl Graustein

Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper

Books by Elisabeth Elliot, specifically Passion and Purity and Let Me Be A Women




2 comments:

  1. Do hard things is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a test. Tell me if you receive this email, Emily.

    ReplyDelete