Friday, March 6, 2015

Have you read Jesus Calling?

Short answer:  No.

Long answer:

Today I was at a book sale and saw of copy of The Shack.  I had a strong desire to buy the book so I could throw it away.  There would be one less theologically 'bad' book out there to read.  But I realized there are a lot of flaws in this type of thinking.  First, I won't even make a dent in the inventory.  But more importantly, the goal should never be simply to get people to stop reading a book.  There will always be another one to take its place.  The goal should be to encourage discernment in the books they read.  

Back to Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.  This is a very popular book.  I understand the appeal.  Short, daily readings that will give you something to meditate on.  But, should you read it?

I say no.  I would encourage you to read Tim Challies review of the book.  But, here is the gist of it -  the author claims that Jesus is speaking through her and she is communicating that message to you.  While she claims that her message is not inspired as is the Bible, she effectively communicates that the Bible is not sufficient.  This quote strikes me, "I knew that God communicated with me through the Bible, but I yearned for more." (emphasis mine).

Challies conclusion (although I encourage you to read the entire review):
Jesus Calling is, in its own way, a very dangerous book. Though the theology is largely sound enough, my great concern is that it teaches that hearing words directly from Jesus and then sharing these words with others is the normal Christian experience. In fact, it elevates this experience over all others. And this is a dangerous precedent to set. I see no reason that I would ever recommend this book.

But, take heart, I have recommendations!  If you are looking for a daily devotional type book, here are some other options:

The Quiet Place: Daily Devotional Readings  -     By: Nancy Leigh DeMoss
The Quiet Place - Nancy Leigh DeMoss

Streams in the Desert  -     By: L.B. Cowman
Streams in the Desert - L.B. Cowman


Morning and Evening  -     Edited By: Alistair Begg
    By: Charles H. Spurgeon
Morning and Evening - C.H. Spurgeon

No comments:

Post a Comment