Wednesday, February 18, 2015

{Blogging for Books} Book Review: In Her Kitchen




In Her Kitchen:  Stories and Recipes from Grandmas Around the World would make a beautiful coffee table book but I wouldn't count on finding a lot of new recipes to use.  I'll get to that in a bit.

Story Behind the Book
The story behind this book is fascinating to me.  At the age of 22, the author Gabriele Galimberti, was hired by an Italian magazine to travel around the world as a couch surfer for two years.  He traveled through fifty countries with only his camera, computer and journals.  One of his projects was to photograph grandmas and whatever dish they chose to make.

Layout of the Book
There are four pages for every grandma that is featured: a short biography, their recipe, a picture of them generally in their kitchen and a picture of the dish they prepared.  They don't seem to be organized in any specific order that I could find - Kenya is after Germany which is after Canada.  There is a map located at the front and back of the book which lists the page numbers on the countries that are included.

What I Thought
This is an interesting book for a once through perusal.  Perhaps it could be added into a geography study.  And it was amazing to see kitchens in different countries.  Ironically, I noticed that those with the nicest kitchens cooked the least or use the most processed food.  Hmmm....

As a cookbook - I don't think so.  A few of the recipes use ingredients that are specific to that area - malunggay leaves from the Philippines and dalo or taro roots from the Fiji Islands.  And I just don't think that some recipes, such as Finkubala from Malawi, will cross the cultural divide.  What is Finkubala?  Well, that would be caterpillars in tomato sauce.  That is a picture you have to see.


I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, I'm not convinced I want to purchase it. But your review definitely makes me want to look at it. I like the concept, for sure.

    ReplyDelete