Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Review: In the Land of the Blue Burqas

Author Kate McCord* left her high powered career to work at a non-governmental organization (NGO) in Afghanistan.  In the Land of Blue Burqas details the challenges of entering into the lives of Muslims as a westerner and also the amazing spiritual conversations that ensued.

This was my favorite book in 2012.

Why?

Writing - Her writing is thoughtful and engaging.  Her sentences were crafted and words carefully chosen.  You can almost feel the labor she went through to write this book.  I felt as though she was having a conversation with me. 

Arrangement - The author arranged the chapters by subject and weaves in stories that relate.  This is unique in an autobiographical book which in usually arranged chronologically.  (Although, I'm not sure this is technically an "autobiography.")  Some of the chapters include How Do We Respond to Insult?, How Should We Fast? and Choosing Love.  By arranging the chapters in this manner, the reader is able to reflect on each of these subjects.

Her heart -  The author's desire was to understand the Muslim women that she was surrounded by and to appropriately share with them whom she followed - the Honorable Jesus Messiah.   She did this by entering into their world.  A world dramatically different than her own.

Amazing book.  I can't say enough good about it.  If you are able to read this book I would encourage you.  And if you know me, I have a lending copy of this book.  Ask to borrow it. :-)

 *Not her real name.  In order to protect herself and those she has conversations with, all of the names, as well as the setting in which the conversations took place, in the book have been changed.

I received this book free from Moody Publishers in exchange for an honest review.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a good book. So, is she still living over there, or was she just over there for a year or so? I might have to put that on my reading list, although I'm so backed up now with a ton of other books. (sigh). Happy Snowflakey Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She actually there for several years but was forced to leave suddenly because of danger. I can't remember if her life was threatened or a co-workers. This is a reason that her name and all of the name in the books are changed. The threat for those still over there is real.

    ReplyDelete