Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Review: Fearless

Product Details

Fearless:  The Undaunted Courage and Ultimate Sacrifice of Navy SEAL Team SIX Operator Adam Brown

by Eric Blehm



Adam Brown gave his life for the country he loved on March 17, 2010 in the Hindu Kush mountains of Afghanistan.  This book traces the story of his life and his incredible journey from being a crack addict with 11 felonies to becoming a member of the elite Navy Team SIX, a loving husband and father, and a devoted Christian.

This is a little out of step with my normal reading genres.  However, it is not completely foreign territory.  I've read a few military biographies and fiction stories over the years.  And, whenever possible, my husband wrangles me into watch a documentary with him.  So, I pushed aside my theology books, reached across Jane Austin and grabbed my Kindle to read Fearless.

It started out a little slow, going all the way back to his parents' childhoods.  But, if you are patient, the story line does pick up.  And the writing probably won't wow you.  It reminded me of reading a newspaper that quoted a lot of sources.  However, despite those detriments, this is an amazing story.  A story that had me sobbing at the end.  Which is annoying, because it is really hard to read and cry.

So, what was so amazing about this book?  It was amazing that the transforming power of Christ was seen in his life as he went from a crack cocaine addict to a Navy SEAL.  It is amazing that he endured so many injuries and yet continued to do his job.  It is amazing that he truly seemed to have no fear.  Those things are all amazing.

But, I think what is most amazing is this....the story of Adam Brown puts flesh and bones on the military.  We see through their eyes.  It highlights their humanity and the sacrifice that they have made for our country.  After ten plus years of military action in Iraq and Afghanistan we have become dulled to what we see on the news.  I have become dulled.  Soldiers loss their lives.  I see it.  It's sad.  And then I go on with my day.  This book depicts the soldier as a person.  A person with past, a person with struggles, a person with love ones who mourn the loss of his life.  I think those things are important to reflect upon.

So, would a recommend this book?  Yes, but a qualified yes.  Even though this is published by a Christian publisher there is still profanity in it.  Not a ton, but when a SEAL is quoted it is not edited.  For this reason, I would only recommend this to adults. 

I received this Kindle book free from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment