Saturday, January 12, 2013

Quote: "A thousand different things"

"Years ago, I heard Pastor John Piper make a statement that resonated deeply in my heart.  I've shared it countless times since: 'In every situation and circumstance of your life, God is always doing a thousand different things that you cannot see and you do not know.'"
"Regardless of what crisis or complexity may be threatening to engulf your life, God is at work.  You may not see it, but you need to know it's true.  And He's not just doing one or two or a few things in that situation.  He is doing a thousand or more things.
Although at times He may allow us to see some of His purposes, enabling us to say, "Oh, that makes sense," the vast majority of what He is doing is behind the scenes, providentially obscured from our finite view."
 ~from The Quiet Place by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, January 8 daily devotional

3 comments:

PlainJane said...

Lovely words and so true. God is so great our little brains have no idea just how much. Have you ever been to John Piper's church? I've never heard him speak. I've been to the church for a concert many years ago. I keep thinking that I should go sometime.

Jenny Bergren said...

We went there once but my youngest was only a few months old (and tired)so I didn't hear much of the sermon. :-) I know that John Piper retired a few weeks ago so you won't hear him preaching if you do go.

PlainJane said...

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me. I know the church was getting people alined for the day he wouldn't be there, but I thought that might still be a couple of years. huh. Sorry to hear you have a sick one today. I hope she feels much better soon and that the rest of you stay healthy. ♥