Sunday, December 2, 2012

Review: The Quiet Place


What is it?

The Quiet Place is a daily devotional written by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.  The content of the devotionals has been adapted from several of Nancy's books as well as transcripts from her radio programs.  So, if while reading you find something vaguely familiar, as I did, it could be because you have, indeed, heard it before.

In the preface, the author writes, "I would hasten to remind you, however useful such a resource may be, it can be in no way substitute for getting into the Word itself.  Think of this book, or any other devotional book, as merely an appetizer, a "pre-taste" of the meal to come.  These readings are not intended to supplant your need for God's Word, but simply to create a hunger, stimulate your appetite, and tune your senses and heart to long for more of Him."  I love it!  I love that way she puts her own writings in their proper place.

How is it organized?

This is a yearly devotional staring with January 1 and ending with December 31.  It also includes leap day, February 29, which brings the total readings up to 366.  Each day contains a verse, some thoughts related to the verse (usually containing a story) and application questions.  The application questions are really the gem of this book.  They are very specific and designed to elicit a response from the reader.  If taken seriously, these questions could serve as an evaluation of your spiritual health and a call to personal holiness.

What did I think?

I have several devotionals that I use and love.  Spurgeon's Morning and Evening causes me to meditate on the doctrinal richness of our faith and love the Lord with greater affection.  Elisabeth Elliot's A Lamp Unto My Feet leads me to repentance.  A lot.  She has a way of unearthing and exposing sins I've grown comfortable with.  The strength in Nancy Leigh Demoss' The Quiet Place is its emphasis on application and call to action.  It would be difficult to walk away from the day's reading without a specific action to accomplish or principle to meditate on.

I highly recommend this book.  I look forward to starting 2013 with this book as a part of my daily Bible time.

I received this book free from Moody Publishers in exchange for an honest review.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an excellent devotional. I like how you told with each of the 3 devotionals how it can lead a person in Spiritual growth. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas and wishing you a Happy New Year Jenny. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jane. I hope you also had a wonderful Christmas. I should head over to your blog and find out!

    ReplyDelete