Tuesday, November 22, 2011

From My Bookshelf: Shopping for Time

I enjoy sharing review books with you.  And I enjoy getting review books for free.  :-)  But, there are many other great books that I would love to share.  And some of them are even on my bookshelf.

So, here is one.  Shopping for Time:  How to Do It All and Not Be Overwhelmed

Shopping for Time  -     
        By: Carolyn Mahaney, Nicole Whitacre, Kristin Chesemore
Don't let the title deceive you.  You can't do it "all."  And that is the point.  As the authors rightly point out:
"We've learned there is no such thing as simply a busy month or a busy year.  It's a busy life, pure and simple.  Around every corner  is another potential  hospitality, another counseling opportunity, another church meeting, another diaper to change or carpool to run.
But we also have learned from God's Word that it is possible to deal with life's demands without becoming overwhelmed, miserable, and exhausted.  We can surmount the numerous responsibilities that threaten to wear us down.  More than that, we can actually do all that God has called us to do.
A fantastic claim, we know.  But it's true.  We can accomplish everything that God has ordained us to do in this life.  (Hint:  It's probably not half of what's on your to-do list.)" (page 13, emphasis mine) 
This is a short book - a mere 94 pages.  The authors expand on the following five tips:
1.  Rise Early - Joining the 5 a.m. Club*
2.  Sit Still - Sitting at Jesus Feet
3.  Sit and Plan - Taking a Personal Retreat
4.  Consider People - Evaluating Relationships Carefully
5.  Plan to Depend - Being Productive in Daily Life

*OK, listen to me carefully.  The authors are not saying you have to get up at 5am.  The principle is "rise early" and their personal application is "get up at 5 am."  That is certainly not how I choose to apply it.  Early is relative to the situation you are in.*
 
While you may be able to read this book quickly, I warn you not to read so fast that you skimp on the application.  Read a chapter, ponder, pray, and apply.

We all need to be more intentional about how we live our lives.  This book will aid you in that.  I highly recommend it.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review, Jenny. I've heard good things about this book. I have a hard time getting past the cover (too cutesy for me), so I appreciate that you expounded upon the depth of the book. Sounds like it's worth the read.

    ReplyDelete