Saturday, September 10, 2011

Review: Desiring God DVD




Generally, I'm not a big fan of watching a movie before (or instead of) reading the book.  But, in this case, I made an exception.  



Desiring God, the book, has been on my bookshelf for years and years.  I've started it several times but never made it past the first chapter.  So, I was excited about the opportunity to review Desiring God, the DVD.


Contents
In a nutshell, the contents of this DVD revolve around defining and understanding Christian hedonism and "will help individuals and groups understand that the supreme calling of life is to "glorify God by enjoying Him forever."  (from product description)


Organization
This DVD contains a series of lectures, designed for personal or group study.  Each section is about 20-25 minutes long.  Ideally, the DVD would be used with the DVD study guide, which is not included but purchased separately.  I did not have the study guide and since I like to take notes (weird, I know), it would have been helpful not only to cement the information but also to see where he was going sometimes.  Pastor Piper did use an overhead projector that he scribbled notes on, which I fould helpful.  (For my younger readers, this is an overhead projector.  It's just one more casualty in a world of Powerpoint and iPads.)  


Summary
Overall, I think this is a valuable resource.  I personally wouldn't spend $30 for personal use but perhaps it would be a reasonable investment for a group study.


I received this book free from Blogging for Books in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment