Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Review: Johann Sebastian Bach



Johann Sebastian Bach is a scholarly and thorough work authored by Rick Marschall.  The book boldly and refreshingly details how Bach's strong faith in the Lord drove his musical creations.  An interesting fact that I learned was that Bach wrote Jesu, juva (Jesus help me) at the beginning of every composition and ended it with S.D.G (short for Soli Deo Gloria, to God alone be the glory).  So, really, to write about Back you must write about his faith.  And the author did that.


I know very little of Bach or the times that he lived in and was anticipating this book would be gentle introduction to his life.  However, I found the book to be too detailed.  The reading was, for me, laborious and (a true confession coming) I couldn't finish it.  The author's style of writing included long sentences with lots of commas or fragments.  I found both equally toilsome to read.


And now I feel that I've been too severe.  In the author's defense, he has written many books.  I have written none.  But, as a matter of preference, I did not prefer this book.  However, I know someone who probably would enjoy a good book about Bach.  So, I will send it to him and if he says it is a good book, I will post his opinion on my blog.  And his opinion will trump mine.  


I received this book free from Booksneeze.com in exchange for an honest review.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your honesty. You made me smile and miss your friendship all the more.... I think of you often and would love to plan a get together soon.
    I do like the fact that Bach's faith truly impacted his work(as our faith should do the same).
    Take a look at your calendar, for I may surprise you and call you soon to book a time for tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I miss you, too!

    ReplyDelete