Friday, April 8, 2011

Review: His Word in my Heart

His Word in My Heart: Memorizing Scripture for a Closer Walk with God  -     
        By: Janet Pope
Sometimes the most profound things are simply common sense.  And so it is with this book.  There is no new method or 3-step plan to help you memorize scripture.  Instead, this book shares the heart of one women and some practical ways that helped to her memorize entire books of the Bible.  


Why memorize passages and book instead of random verses in Scripture?  Janet Pope offers two main reasons.  First,  you are able to keep maintain the context and avoid misinterpretation.  The author uses the example of John 3:16.


"Would you be surprised to know that one verse, Johns 3:16, has given many people  a false assurance  of their salvation?  How could this be?  Because they don't know the context in which the verse is found.  If they knew John 3 in its entirety, they would know that 
  • you must be born again (vv. 3-7)
  • those who know and believe the truth will have deeds that prove their belief (vv. 19-21) 
  • those who believe have eternal life; but those who do not obey the Son of God shall not see life but God's wrath abides in them (v. 36)
By memorizing verses 1-21 instead of verse 16 by itself, you will avoid misinterpretation because you will get the entire conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus."


Second, memorizing passage and books focuses us on God's character instead of ourselves.  When we choose to memorize individual verses, we often pick verses that are self-focused.  


Why do I like this book soooooo much?


First, the author has a genuine humility.  This is a women who has memorized 90 chapters of scripture and yet, I feel she can relate to my experience of standing in the grocery store aisle trying to remember what I came to buy.  She isn't a genius, but an average women who desires to grow in her love and knowledge of Christ.   


The second reason that I like this book is that it walks you through memorizing  Psalm 1 and the book of Titus.  For me, it is essential that I put into practice what I am learning immediately or I would never get around to it.  


This book is the most influential book that I read last year.  Memorizing scripture has become a delight to me and I have grown in my knowledge and love of the Lord.  If you only read one book this year, let it be this one.  And, if you are not sure if you want to spend $10.80 on the book, you can go here , here and here to listen to three programs that the author recorded about her book on Revive Our Hearts with Nancy Leigh DeMoss.




Disclaimer:  I bought this book with my own money.  No one gave it to me.  And I would do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment