Friday, April 29, 2011

Review: Amish Prayers

Amish Prayers: Heartfelt Expressions of Humility, Gratitude, and DevotionAmish Prayers by Beverly Lewis is a translation of selected prayers from the Germen prayer book Die Ernsthafte Christenpflicht.  This prayer book, published in 1708, has remained unchanged since its first printing.  The prayers are topically sorted (Prayers for a New Day, Prayers for Divine Guidance, Prayers of Gratitude) and contain a related scripture verse with each prayer.  


My main interest in reviewing this book was to gain a better understanding of what the Amish believe theologically.  Reading their prayers, I was able to understand a little of what they believe.  The prayers are reveal and deep yearning to follow the Lord in all ways.  Here is a sample prayer from the chapter titled "Prayers of Repentance."
Lord, I have been disobedient.  I confess this with a humble heart and come to you like a child to his father and say:  I am heartily afraid because of my great sin.  I have sinned, O Father, and done evil before you.  Oh, have mercy on me, I beg you from the bottom of my heart, and save me from my temptation.  O Father, comfort me again with your fatherly aid.  I call on you from my heart like David, dear God and Father!  Create in me a clean heart like David, dear God and Father!  Create in me a clean heart, O God, and give me a right spirit, that I may from this day forward serve you humbly and wholeheartedly in love and trust, in safety, and with childlike hope.   Amen.
Amish Prayers contains beautiful illustrations. However, for a prayer book I found them distracting.  The illustrations are focused on the Amish and the prayers are focused on the Lord.  They seem to be competing with one another.  


I received this book free in exchange for an honest review.  

No comments:

Post a Comment