Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ungodliness

I am currently reading Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges for a ladies Bible study.  Last night, I read chapter 7, where he describes ungodliness as follows (emphasis mine):
Ungodliness and wickedness are not the same.  A person may be a nice, respectable citizen and still be an ungodly person....Ungodliness describes an attitude toward God.  Ungodliness may be defined as living one's everyday life with little or no thought of God, or of God's will, or of God's glory, or of one's dependence on God.
Ungodliness is not out there somewhere.  It is right here in my own home, in my own heart.

This morning I opened my email and found the following devotional from Revive Our Hearts.
Perfect Peace
 Nancy Leigh DeMoss: If there ever was a woman who had it rough, it was Hannah Whitall Smith. This author from the late 1800s was married to a preacher who proved to be emotionally unstable and was repeatedly unfaithful. Two of her five children died of scarlet fever. One daughter left a husband and ran off with an artist. Another daughter married an outspoken atheist. Hannah herself suffered from crippling arthritis.  In the midst of all these problems, here’s what she wrote:
Hannah Whitall Smith: We must choose, without any regard to the state of our emotions, what attitude we will take toward God. We must recognize that our emotions are only the servants of our will.
NancyHannah Smith refused to let her life become controlled by her emotions no matter what the circumstances. Are you letting your emotions control you? Or are you letting God control your emotions?
With Seeking Him, I’m Nancy Leigh DeMoss. 
I have been meditating on my own ungodliness.  I am often whisked through my days on the waves of my emotions.  My desire to live my days with thoughts of God, of God's will, of God's glory and of my dependence of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment