Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Review: The Story of the Bible

  I was very excited to receive this book free from Booksneeze.com in exchange for an honest review.  I was not disappointed!

The Story of The Bible by Larry Stone is a concise history of the Bible as a book beginning with papyrus scrolls through the modern translations.  The back cover describes the book as "a sweeping panorama of the Bible's 3,500-year history."  The book is an overview and does move rapidly, but with a writing style that is readable and engaging.

The book itself is a beautiful, large hardcover with color illustrations and pictures on waxy paper.  It includes 23 removable inserts depicting life-size reproductions of various Bibles.  A full color timeline is included on the front and back inside cover.

I enjoyed this book immensely and look forward to using it in our homeschool as we study church history.  Many stories are summarized (the book does cover 3,500 years in less then 100 pages) but this will provide an great jumping off point for further studies.  The book's website will be one of our resources.

I've read other reviews of this book stating it would make a great coffee table book.  I disagree.  No one reads coffee table books.  They browse, peruse, use it to set their coffee on...but they don't read them.  This book is meant to be read!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com  book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment