Friday, January 14, 2011

Reading List for 2011

I rarely make a list of books that I want to read.  I prefer to read by impulse.  That is all well and good if reading is merely a pastime, however, I desire to grow and be challenged by my reading.   But I still rebel against the idea of making a list of books.  I know I will fail to complete the list.  I know my nature.   I know.

So, instead of a list of books, I came up with a different approach.  I listed categories and the number of books I want to read from each category.  The books listed in each category are ones I have already chosen to read.  The rest I will have to find throughout the year.

It may be completely unrealistic to finish reading all the books this year.  That’s ok.  (Take note all you Type A personalities.)  At least I have a goal.  Next year I can readjust. 

But, now I need your help.  Do you have any suggestions to help me fill in some of my categories?

Parenting:  Read two.
  1.         Age of Opportunity – Paul David Tripp
  2.         Teach Them Diligently (reread) – Lou Priolo

Homeschooling:  Read two.
  1.         
  2.         

Homemaking/Cooking/Gardening:   Read or peruse (normal people don’t “read” cookbooks) at least twelve (one per month).  The challenge of this is finding good books to read.
  1.         The Everything Meals for a Month Cookbook – Linda Johnson Larsen
  2.         
  3.         
  4.         
  5.         
  6.         
  7.         
  8.         
  9.         
  10. .    
  11. .    
  12. .    

Theology:  Read three.
  1.         There Really is a Difference – A Comparison of Covenant and Dispensational Theology – Renald Showers
  2.          Reclaiming Authentic Fundamentalism- Douglas McLachlan
  3.         

A book about prayer:   Read one.
  1.         

Biography :  Read two.
  1.       
  2.         

Missionary  Books – Read three.
  1.         They Dared to Be Different – Hugh Steven (I have this on my shelf.  Thrift store purchase.  No idea if it is good.)
  2.          Voices of the Faithful – I received this free from booksneeze.com in exchange for posting a review of the book.
  3.         

Classics – Read two.  Of course, one can be Jane Austen. J
  1.         
  2.         

Finances – Read two. 
  1.         
  2.         

Bible Studies
  1.          Respectable Sins – Jerry Bridges
  2.          What Do I Know About My God?  (reread)  - Mardi Collier

A book I start every year and NEVER finish…
  1.         How Should We Then Live?  Francis Schaeffer

11 comments:

  1. I didn't know you blogged, Jenny. Great idea! For Finance, we REALLY liked Dave Ramsey!!!! I'm guessing you've already read it, but it's a good re-read, and that's coming from someone who detests financial books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie. I've skimmed "Total Money Makeover" but haven't read through it. I'm adding it to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny,
    May God give you the discipline to keep at this! I think it's great that you're setting goals - "If we aim at nothing . . ."!
    A missionary book that came to mind immediately is "Kitty, My Rib" a biography about Katharine Luther. I borrowed Amanda's copy. "Stepping Heavenward" by Elizabeth Prentiss is also super and I have that if you want to borrow it. I'm sure if I thought more about it I could give you a book for each category.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Julie,
    I read both of those books last year. But, keep the suggestions coming. :-)
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayer:
    "A Call to Spiritual Reformation - Priorities from Paul and His Prayers." D.A. Carson

    Marriage: (you don't have this category): )
    "What Did You Expect?" Paul David Tripp

    Missions:
    I have a two-set volume on Hudson Taylor that is very in-depth. I really enjoyed reading how God worked in the hearts of his grandparents and parents before He began a work in his heart. I did get bogged down somewhere in them, but still worth working through.

    I highly recommend Piper's series the Swans Are Not Silent. We have the first four I think. Good biographical sketches.

    That is all for now my fellow-reader. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Meg! These are good suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny,

    On prayer, I would recommend "Before God (The Biblical Doctrine of Prayer) by Mike Sarkissian. And on my list this year is "The Hidden Life of Prayer" by David McIntyre.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny,

    I concur with Meg's suggestion of Carson on prayer. I'd also recommend someone from a previous era on prayer, John Bunyan: http://books.google.com/books?id=B2R_QO-FF5gC&printsec=frontcover&dq=john+bunyan+prayer&safe=strict&hl=en&ei=PZQ1TdTmEsOC8gbcus2eCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false , or perhaps more accessibly, The Valley of Vision, http://www.amazon.com/Valley-Vision-collection-Puritan-Devotions/dp/0851512283/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295355878&sr=8-1 (how many Amazon books in the religion category have over 100 reviews and are still maintaining a 5-star rating?) .... continued ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. But before all that, perhaps you would be interested in C. S. Lewis's opinion (with which I wholeheartedly concur) that you ought to be mixing old books in with the newer ones you are listing. The essay is short enough for you to read thoughtfully in 15 minutes, I'd say, and I strongly recommend it. It changed my reading habits forever (although I still tend to gravitate toward the new and novel!). You'll find the essay here: http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/history/ath-inc.htm#ch_0

    ReplyDelete
  10. And if the link doesn't work just search for "C S Lewis introduction Athanasius on the incarnation".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Chuck. I'm hoping to have some time this evening to read the article.

    ReplyDelete