Thursday, January 14, 2010

My January Reads


Product Details Product Details


Every January I (try to) read Pride and Prejudice and Mere Christianity. Let's see, why do I do this? If I analyze it, I would say:
  • Both authors are English
  • The English drink a lot of tea
  • I drink a lot of tea in winter
  • Therefore, I read their books in January.
Hmm, maybe I need to read a book on logic next. Anyway, I've started to note the words in Pride and Prejudice that I don't know. I'm up to chapter 10 (of 61). Here is my list thus far:
  1. supercilious - Now you would think this would be a fun word, but it actually means "displaying arrogant pride, scorn, or indifference."
  2. pique- to excite (interest, curiosity)
  3. satirical-characterized by satire (which is the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule and the like)
  4. pedantic- ostentatious in one's learning
  5. insipidity- the state of being insipid (lacking in qualities that stimulate, interest or challenge)
  6. indolent-having or showing a disposition to avoid exertion
Now, I have no idea where I would use these words because if I used them in normal conversation I would appear pedantic. :-)


And now, a quote:


This is a conversation between Mr. and Mrs. Bennett after Mr. Bennet pronounced his daughters the "silliest girls in the country."

"'I am astonished, my dear' said Mrs. Bennett, 'that you should be so ready to think your own children silly. If I wished to think slightingly of anybody's children, it should not be of my own however.'


'If my children are silly I must hope to be always sensible of it.'"


Pride and Prejudice, Chapter 7

4 comments:

  1. There we go! Thanks for opening this us to us "Anonymous" types! Happy reading!

    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...opening this UP...Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can never get past the section where Mr. Collins asks Elizabeth for a dance and the Netherfield ball. Then he snickers (movie version). I keep the copy you gave me in my office at work. Any time I need a break I am thousands of miles away in Hertfordshire.

    Carri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, reading Pride and Prejudice is a wonderful way to escape. :-)

    ReplyDelete